Being a recreational activity since ages, Hunting is one of the most enjoyable outdoor activities today. The famous forms for engaging in the wild outdoor and hunting are either a BOW or a GUN. Hunters mostly use guns and bows TOGETHER.
You can use both simultaneously but you should know which one is your PREFERRED weapon. Focusing on a smaller set of skills initially means you can master those skills QUICKLY..
The debate of why bow hunting is better than guns is there since ages and every hunter has his own point of view about it.
RIFLES ARE LONG-RANGE WEAPONS WHEREAS BOWS AND SHOTGUNS ARE CLOSE-RANGE WEAPON.
The sense of feeling the accomplishment is pushing rifle hunters to use bows in the recent era. Bowhunting is becoming a popular way of hunting as compared to guns and rifles for several reasons.
- The recurring cost of guns is much higher than bows because if you visit the range frequently in shooting practice, bullets and shots can get expensive.
On the other hand, arrows can be used many times and rarely needs replacement of field points, broadheads or arrows if used carefully. These are cheap and easy to replace if needed.
- Bowhunting is a more traditional and skillful way of hunting. Bowhunters have much more DIVERSITY OF SKILLS than the rifle hunters. It requires you to be super quiet and sometimes you even have to count your breaths before taking the shot. Even though it involves more trial and error, it has many hidden talents along with being much versatile and skillful.
- Even urban hunting is allowed with a bow in many cities as they have their own ARCHERY SEASONS. With a legal hunting bow, you may get the chance to bag even a big game in the population controlled zones.
- In many states, ARCHERY SEASONS are much longer than the rifle seasons. Usually, the deer season starts late September and normally continues till early February in some AREAS. Bowhunting occurs at that time of the year when the game is more plentiful.
- A bow is much quieter than a gun. Firing a gun makes such a LOUD NOISE and scares the prey instantly and even the neighborhood. Unlike this, the gun is much accurate and can take down even multiple targets close to each other.
- Regular archery practice is easy and cheap. You get more practice opportunities with archery as all you need is a backyard. Practicing archery requires relatively little space as bow hunters mostly don’t shoot beyond 50 yards. WHEREAS for rifle hunters all communities don’t have a shooting range and are not PERMITTED EVERYWHERE. You require traveling and spending a lot for a good firearm practice.
How Bow hunting is more effective in killing Deer than Rifle?
Hunting big game with a bow is quite challenging because of the close distance, a hunter must have to take the perfect shot. It requires much skill and practice to stalk within the archery range of a deer. Deer’s have a LARGE KILL ZONE so when you spot a deer standing stationary in the woods, You can easily take your shot without producing any noise. With a good fortune and excellent practice, you can easily stalk within the archery range of a deer.
The venison tastes much better for bow hunters as they get the early season. This gives them an advantage of a long hunting season when the deer are plentiful. That’s why most people choose the bow hunting method for hunting deer to get the advantage of long and early seasons.
As they bow is much quieter as compared to a rifle, it’s the best option to hunt a deer effectively because deer’s have large ears with very sensitive hearing, so they can even get startled with the ticking of a watch. Their ears are the key defense against danger. So noise whether unexpected or unusual will usually scare them.
They are mostly not concerned for flight distance except for something which comes too close to them OTHERWISE if an unknown object is already present in that zone and are not chasing them, they will just figure that all is well. So you can easily move close and hunt it with a bow, as bows are short-range weapons which are effective within 20-30 yards.
REMEMBER: Bows are more effective in short range but you can shoot accurate around 100 yards, I’ve tried my Bear Archery BR33 against shotgun Evike Cyma M3, My bow was even more accurate then shotgun in 100 yards.
Another advantage of bow hunting is if you miss your shot, your prey may not hear the voice of arrow. But if you miss your shot from gun or rifle then every game in your range can RUN AWAY.
How Bow hunting is more effective in killing Bear than Rifle?
A HIGH-PERFORMANCE crossbow shaft will tend to fly about 350 FPS whereas A HIGH-PERFORMANCE compound bow arrows may achieve about 335 FPS.
Earlier people believed in hunting big game like a bear with a rifle and small game with compound and crossbows but today you can easily do the job of hunting large animals with both compound and crossbows. A point to consider today is that using more skills you can easily shoot a big game like bear with crossbow and compound bow as they often make a BETTER MEAL.
You must consider your strength and health while choosing a compound or crossbow for hunting. If you have health issues and can’t handle a compound bow, crossbow is there to do the job.
Bears are quite dangerous and huge animals. Bear hunting with a bow has been a traditional sport and activity. You must be familiar with everything regarding the bear along with the shot placement. You should study the bear’s anatomy and must know how and where to aim.
Every animal either small or big has different anatomy from each other. No doubt a bear offers a large kill zone; still, you should be ACCURATE and should know well about your shot.
You also must know about the minimum draw weight required to kill a bear which is minimum 50-70 lbs and then choose your bow ACCORDINGLY. Bear has a fat skin with thick hairs and very heavy bones. So it’s difficult to pass an arrow through it as compared to deer or other big game animals. That’s why choose sharp broadheads which can easily passes through the bear’s skin.